Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chulbuli finds a new word meaning(?)




I know its a bad habit what I did, but the conversation which Kats and Clio was getting so loud that I couldn't control my ears. I know it sounds stupid, you can control your legs, your hands, but ears? If you don't wanna listen to stuff, sometimes when you don't want to you can. But I just didn't not.
Here is what they were talking,

Kats: Did you see the news? Adele won the oscar for Skyfall? Amazing isn't it?
Clio : I know. Its amazing, every year she keeps getting awards, and her songs get better..
Kats: She won three Grammys at the age of 19, two world famous platinum record winning albums by 21..Look at all that she has achieved, with each day she writes a more meaningful song; she fought her throat problem and sings even better now.

Both of them were silent for sometime and what Kats spoke next was typically Kats.

Kats: I'm going to be 21 soon, and look what I have achieved..nothing.
Clio: You can't compare yourself to Adele, you are in a course studying a certain subject. You have lectures to go to, assignments to write, exams to give..

Achieve, again a very diffcult word for me to understand. When a friend of Kats got 100 on 100 in an exam everyone was complementing her that she achieved something great. Her photo was in the paper, her name on a board in the school. I don't remember where the board was placed also; but whenever I read the names on it I never felt anything speical about them, like I do about Barney or Doraemon and Nobita. I just knew the names, very few teachers told about the people whose names were on the baord, that too only about the ones who were lower on the list.

The people who helped our country become free teachers and elders say have achieved a lot; even players when they win medals for the country at the olympics or some big game everyone says that he/she has achieved somethign great. Getting 100 on 100 in an exam and getting an entire country free, both are achievements? Confusing..

I asked Kats what it meant, and her reaply was, “The meaning is different for differrent people Chulbuli. For some getting a job in a big company where travel in a long expensive car is an achievement. For some growing a crop is. For Clio it is finding what she REALLY wants to do and do it. For me, it is to do something nice for many many people that never forget me.” How can one word mean so many things! There has to be an end to the number of meanings a word has.

Kats wants to be remebered by many many people; maybe their grand children and great grand children and all the generations to come. And when that is done she says she feels like she has achieved something. But what if after she dies people forget her, all those many many people who remembered her, will she still feel that she has achieved something? What if sometime in the middle a dark hole eats up earth, there would be no humans to remeber her, would her achievement be an achievement?

I think, if we do stuff that we like, and if it makes us happy and others happier, that can also be a new meaning for achievement?

No comments:

Post a Comment